Dr. Tucker House
Buckingham County Court House, Buckingham County
2.301 acres, 3,138 square feet
$160,000 Price Reduced
Click on the above photos to see larger imgaes.
Address: 12978 W. James Anderson Highway, Buckingham, VA 23291
The Dr. Tucker House dates from the 1820s. It is situated on over 2 acres in the historic village of Buckingham Courthouse in Buckingham County. The house is located catty-cornered from the old courthouse. The original courthouse designed by Thomas Jefferson burned in 1869. The existing courthouse was built in 1873.
It is thought that the Dr. Tucker House served various purposes in the past, including the housing of a tobacco warehouse in the basement for a time. The house was also used by the Treasurer's Office, possibly by the Masons for a lodge and may have served as a bank. Four doctors have past connections with the house: Dr. Whitcomb Pratt, Dr. Perkins Glover, Dr. G.L. Morris, and Dr. P.E. Tucker, all who practiced medicine on the premises.
The Dr. Tucker House still possesses a rare, Jeffersonian accordion or peak and valley roof on the west wing, probably the only surviving example known. The brickwork under the front porch still retains it original penciling on the mortar joints from the Federal period.
The Dr. Tucker House is a contributing structure in the Buckingham Court House District which is listed on the Virginia Landmarks Register and the National Register of Historic Places. Rehabiltation Tax Credits can be used for appropriate restoration work. This property is under protective easement with the Virginia Department of Historic Resources. The easements contain a rehabilitation agreement requiring that the Dr. Tucker House rehabilitation must be completed within four (4) years of transfer of title to the new purchaser.The building has a slate roof, driveway and garage.
Joyce Sweet, Yoder Properties, 209 N. Main Street, Farmville, VA 23901
Joyce Sweet Yoder Properties