Suffolk retains ownership of the land on which the Obici House resides.
City of Suffolk has issued a Request for Proposals
Click on pictures above to see larger images.
Built in 1925 by Amedeo Obici, founder of Planters Peanuts, the Obici House is a
two-story wood frame structure sited adjacent to the golf course’s 18th hole and
overlooking the scenic Nansemond River. The facility has been utilized for social
functions, ie: weddings, and similar reception events.
The Obici House and the Carriage House are listed on the National Register of Historic Places and the Virginia Landmarks Register. State and Federal Rehabilitation Tax Credits could be used for approved rehab work.
The basement floor is slab on grade and extends under approximately 2/3 of the
first floor, with the remaining structure above a crawl space. The first floor level includes a
sun room, living room, parlor, dining room, a foyer, a restroom, a rear porch, and a
large kitchen. The second floor provides for five individual rooms, two bathrooms,
and a large sitting room overlooking the Nansemond River. Interior finishes
include ornate wood trim, with decorative plastered walls and ceilings. A majority
of the first floor level has finished hardwood floors with the exception of the kitchen,
which is tiled. Other amenities include a formal staircase, stained glass windows,
two gas fireplaces, and decorative light fixtures. The main roof consists of a metal
tile system and is the original roof.
In addition to the Obici House, an adjacent wood framed Carriage House is located
to the south. The two-story Carriage House consists of an open first floor, with an
apartment on the second floor.
The importance of the Obici House is an example of Suffolk's heritage and dictates reuse alternatives that preserve the architectural uniqueness of the buildings.
The Obici House was listed to Preservation Virginia's 2009 Most Endangered Historic Sites.
Linda S. Story, CPPB Senior Buyer, City of Suffolk